Vertical sleeve surgery is also known as Vertical sleeve gastrectomy procedure. First of all it was introduced by Dr. Jamieson in Australia and by Dr. Johnston in England in 1996.
Vertical sleeve surgery is done to lose weight and to reduce the weight of stomach through surgery. Fats of upper portion of the stomach are detached through this surgery. It is a type of restrictive operation. Part of stomach that produces hormone for hunger is removed and patient feels less hunger than before.
Two or three holes are made in the stomach during the operation through which doctor does surgery.
Advantages of Vertical sleeve surgery are as follows –
1. Because of preservation of pylorus dumping syndrome can be minimized.
2. It is beneficial for those patients who are in first stage of their BMI.
3. Sleeve surgery can be done easily for those patients whose weight is more than 500 pounds.
4. Portion of the stomach is eliminated which produces hormone for hunger.
Vertical sleeve surgery is good for those patients whom have high obesity. Those patients who can not go through vertical bypass surgery because of obesity can go for Vertical sleeve surgery.
Persons suitable for this surgery –
1. Patient should not be alcohol addicted.
2. Any mental health related patient should be avoided.
3. BMI of the patient should be 40 or over.
You should take care about your diet after surgery very much. Follow every instructions of doctor and take more liquid protein in your diet after first few weeks of surgery. Patients can eat egg, cheese and other regular food in two months. Good diet will prevent you to weight regain.